Full course description
This BLENDED course is designed for busy healthcare professionals in all care settings to develop Brief Motivational Interviewing skills. Brief Motivational interviewing (MI) techniques:
- Promote patient-centered care and collaboration
- Facilitate change
- Improve adherence
- Improve satisfaction
- Improve health outcomes
Dr. Stacy Ogbeide will help you develop the skills needed to communicate with patients in a more collaborative way and quickly assess readiness for change and motivation to change. You will also learn how to break change down into manageable steps for both you and your patients. Our patients are the experts of their own stories and Brief Motivational Interviewing helps you help your patient identify where they are and where they want to be.
- Online learning modules introducing Brief MI techniques (1.5 hours)
- In-person practice developing Brief MI skills (4 hours)
- Dr. Stacy Ogbeide, a recognized expert in MI techniques, facilitates the practice session
1. Recognize patient-provider communication with the spirit of motivational interviewing (MI)
2. Respond to patients using open-ended statements, affirmations, reflections, and summaries (OARS)
3. Respond to patients' arguments against change without amplifying resistance
4. Listen for and amplify change/commitment talk using reflection, open questions, and importance/confidence scales
5. Know when and how to give advice or information
Criteria for Successful Completion (Please read carefully):
- Complete the entire online activity, including self-checks and post-test
- Attend the in-person session Saturday March 21, 2020
- Be seated no later than 10 minutes after session start time
- 5.50 contact hours will be awarded upon successful completion
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Keep Learning with UT Health San Antonio Department of Lifelong Learning!